PRESENTATION OF THE NETWORK
The Presidents of the Supreme Judicial Courts of the Member States of the European Union decided to form an Association whose Constituent Assembly was held on March 10, 2004 at the French Cour de cassation with the financial support of the European Commission (AGIS program).
The Network of the Presidents provides a forum through which European institutions are given an opportunity to request the opinions of Supreme Courts and to bring them closer by encouraging discussion and the exchange of ideas. The members gather for colloquiums to discuss matters of common interest.
Since 2005, internships are organized for the Members of the Supreme Courts, as part of the Exchange Programme of European judicial authorities with the support of the European Judicial Training Network.
Common Portal of jurisprudence
Since 2006, the Network develops a Common Portal of jurisprudence which will allow its members to search in all the national case law databases, with the financial support of the European Commission.
The Presidents of the Supreme courts of Albania, Liechtenstein, Montenegro and Norway have been admitted as observers.
The Presidents of the Court of Justice of the European Union and the European Court of Human Rights have accepted the invitation to participate in the general assemblies and colloquiums of the Network.
The Members of the Board are:
- Mr. Priit Pikamäe, President of the Supreme Court of Estonia
- Mr. António Silva Henriques Gaspar, President of the Supreme Court of Portugal
- Mr. Branko Hrvatin, President of the Supreme Court of Croatia
- Mrs Bettina Limperg, President of the Federal Supreme Court of Germany (Bundesgerichthof)
- Mr. Jean de Codt, First President of the Cour de cassation of Belgium
- Mr. Rimvydas Norkus, President of the Supreme Court of Lithuania
- Mr. Maarten Feteris, President of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands
- Mr. Timo Esko, President of the Supreme Court of Finland
- Mr. Myron Michael Nicolatos, President of the Supreme Court of Cyprus
- Mr. Dominique Hascher, Judge, French Cour de cassation